In this episode of the show I talk to my clinic’s staff about the importance of setting – or as is often the case – RE-setting patient expectations:
A lot of people talk about the “importance of communication” with patients – but I think what should be communicated by those who say that, is that the purpose of getting better at communication, is to ultimately change their expectations.
One is “what to do” – the other is “how to do it”.
If you look at people’s lives, anywhere they are unhappy; it is mostly caused by EXPECTATIONS not being met.
Look at your practice, anywhere there’s an unhappy patient, it’s usually because EXPECTATIONS have not been met.
This episode comes on the back of birth of my son, Grayson Edward Gough, and I share with my team some real-life examples of how MY own expectations were not met in the 48 hours in hospital…
…and, how that led to a level of frustration, that ultimately led to us talking more about how they made us feel – rather than the great clinical care that was actually provided.
As I ALWAYS say, clinical skills get you started, but they also get you stuck.
All of the clinical skills will not change the EXPECTATION issues that your patients carry with them; you can only do that by truly understanding their INTERNAL needs and if you do that, you get the chance to fix their external needs (such as their knee pain).
Here’s what I cover on this episode:
* How a highly trained, very skilled, very well paid surgeon made a DREADFUL mistake that p*ssed my girlfriend Natalie off something rotten
* How NOT to communicate with patients when they’re frustrated
* How to communicate with patients so they don’t ever get frustrated…
* Why most people’s issues are EXPECTATIONS issues – and how to ensure they get met whether on the phone or in the treatment room
* And so much more on this episode of the Paul Gough Physio Rooms show…
Click here to watch it – then be sure to hit the big red SUBSCRIBE button on my Youtube Channel. I release footage of training my staff and other clinic owners from all around the world daily – so hit subscribe so you don’t miss out!
Enjoy the show.
Check out Paul’s Best Selling Books for Physical Therapists on Marketing, Hiring and Selling:
For more PT Business Education Material:
Connect with Paul Gough on Social Media:
PAUL GOUGH is a multi-time No.1 bestselling author of The New Patient Accelerator Method, The Physical Therapy Hiring Solution, To Sell is Healthy, and The Healthy Habit. He is also a former professional soccer physical therapist turned successful clinic owner from the UK (a country where healthcare is free). He is the founder of the Paul Gough Physio Rooms – a successful cash pay clinic he started from a spare room in his home with no money down and with no business or marketing skills. He has since scaled his clinic from one to four locations, and zero to $1m in cash pay revenue and he now helps clinic owners all across America and around the world to get more cash pay patients using his proven systems.
- How To Find, Hire And Train Staff You Can Trust - 2nd April 2020
- How To Train World Class People You Can Trust - 26th March 2020
- Never Forget What You’re Actually Selling… - 19th March 2020
- How To Deal With Demanding Patients… - 12th March 2020
- Stopping Drop-Offs With This One Simple Question - 4th March 2020
- The Importance Of Setting Patient Expectations… - 28th February 2020
- Why No One Wants To Pay For Physical Therapy… - 20th February 2020
- What To Say To A Patient Who “No-Shows” - 13th February 2020
- How To Use Body Language To Appear More Confident To Patients - 10th February 2020
- Sales Book For Physical Therapists: Give Yourself A Raise - 18th September 2019