In this episode of the show I talk to my clinic’s staff about the importance of setting – or as is often the case – RE-setting patient expectations:
A lot of people talk about the “importance of communication” with patients – but I think what should be communicated by those who say that, is that the purpose of getting better at communication, is to ultimately change their expectations.
One is “what to do” – the other is “how to do it”.
If you look at people’s lives, anywhere they are unhappy; it is mostly caused by EXPECTATIONS not being met.
Look at your practice, anywhere there’s an unhappy patient, it’s usually because EXPECTATIONS have not been met.
This episode comes on the back of birth of my son, Grayson Edward Gough, and I share with my team some real-life examples of how MY own expectations were not met in the 48 hours in hospital…
…and, how that led to a level of frustration, that ultimately led to us talking more about how they made us feel – rather than the great clinical care that was actually provided.
As I ALWAYS say, clinical skills get you started, but they also get you stuck.
All of the clinical skills will not change the EXPECTATION issues that your patients carry with them; you can only do that by truly understanding their INTERNAL needs and if you do that, you get the chance to fix their external needs (such as their knee pain).
Here’s what I cover on this episode:
* How a highly trained, very skilled, very well paid surgeon made a DREADFUL mistake that p*ssed my girlfriend Natalie off something rotten
* How NOT to communicate with patients when they’re frustrated
* How to communicate with patients so they don’t ever get frustrated…
* Why most people’s issues are EXPECTATIONS issues – and how to ensure they get met whether on the phone or in the treatment room
* And so much more on this episode of the Paul Gough Physio Rooms show…
Click here to watch it – then be sure to hit the big red SUBSCRIBE button on my Youtube Channel. I release footage of training my staff and other clinic owners from all around the world daily – so hit subscribe so you don’t miss out!
Enjoy the show.
Check out Paul’s Best Selling Books for Physical Therapists on Marketing, Hiring and Selling:
For more PT Business Education Material:
Connect with Paul Gough on Social Media:
PAUL GOUGH is a multi-time No.1 bestselling author of The New Patient Accelerator Method, The Physical Therapy Hiring Solution, To Sell is Healthy, and The Healthy Habit. He is also a former professional soccer physical therapist turned successful clinic owner from the UK (a country where healthcare is free). He is the founder of the Paul Gough Physio Rooms – a successful cash pay clinic he started from a spare room in his home with no money down and with no business or marketing skills. He has since scaled his clinic from one to four locations, and zero to $1m in cash pay revenue and he now helps clinic owners all across America and around the world to get more cash pay patients using his proven systems.
- How To Confidently Sell Your Physical Therapy Services - 29th April 2020
- Telehealth: What Does The Future of PT Look Like? - 17th April 2020
- How To Get More Buy-In From Patients - 16th April 2020
- Telehealth: Have You Already Done It Without Realizing? - 16th April 2020
- Telehealth: What Is the Most Important Thing You Can Sell Right Now? - 15th April 2020
- Telehealth: Is A Marketing Funnel Needed Right Now? - 14th April 2020
- Telehealth: What Happens To Discovery Visits? - 13th April 2020
- Telehealth: How Will I Compete With “Big Box” Insurance Companies? - 10th April 2020
- Telehealth: What’s The Biggest Objection? - 9th April 2020
- Telehealth: How Do You Create A Plan Of Care? - 9th April 2020